By becoming a SmartWay partner in 2009, C. L. Services, Inc. expanded on our ability to bring efficiency to our customers through measurable sustainability indicators that help us reduce fuel consumption and improve air quality. We are able to look at the total cost of transportation including its environmental impact. In 2012, Jeff Lantz, our President reaffirmed our commitment to the SmartWay program by announcing preferred status for SmartWay certified carriers. As of 2014, we have increased our SmartWay certified carrier base from 500 to 1,250. Our SmartWay performance score as calculated by the EPA is 4.
Through SmartWay, C. L. Services, Inc. is able to:
- Benchmark and reduce our freight supply chain carbon footprint
- Use SmartWay tools and data to do credible carbon accounting and reporting
- Access freight supply chain best practices which reduce costs and emissions
- Improve energy and environmental efficiency of freight operations
- Meet customer/ shareholder demands for leadership in corporate sustainability
- Earn recognition for achievements through the awards programs
- Use the SmartWay brand to promote our participation
We continue our partnership fully aligned to the EPA’s Vision 2020 strategy for gaining transportation efficiency and mitigating the effect of freight movements on public health and the climate. More about Vision 2020 can be found at EPA.gov. (http://www.epa.gov/smartway/about/documents/basics/420f15001.pdf)
As a long time SmartWay partner, we can offer our customers the ability to improve their SmartWay score by moving all of their freight on certified carriers. The carrier’s score also increases as they haul freight using more efficient routes using less of the fuel in the gas tank. The result of selecting a SmartWay carrier is lower cost and better air quality-a win/win for the transportation industry, our customers, and our planet.
For all loads, we give certified carriers the priority in selection and strongly urge any transportation provider to become a SmartWay partner. Why? A recent EPA survey showed the growth of the program and the tangible benefits of participation.
Fast Facts About SmartWay Transport Partnership (from www.epa.gov/smartway/about/)
- Over 3,000 partners
- $20.6 billion dollars in fuel costs saved
- Saved 144.3 million barrels of oil — the equivalent of taking over 13 million cars off the road for an entire year.
- 7 million metric tons CO2 reductions
- 1,070,000 tons NOx reductions
- 43,000 tons PM reductions
The EPA provides tools as a part of the program. These tools allow any company (from vendor to shipper to carrier to warehouse provider etc.) to calculate their carbon emissions and fuel consumption including all shipments on private fleets, common carriers, or even with non-asset based third party logistics companies. With this key information captured, we can numerically quantify the improvement when certified carriers are chosen. The tools today capture emissions from truck, rail and barge movements; however, ocean and air freight are on the road map to be incorporated so that emissions for all modes are available within the data.
There is a cost to not participating. The financial cost is lost business as customers look to reduce their supply chain foot print and have made choosing certified partners a part of their foot print reduction strategy. In many cases, large companies like Wal-Mart, Kraft, Kimberly-Clark, exclude logistics providers who are not SmartWay certified from bids and RFPs. Other companies use the SmartWay score when considering how they will award business. Certification is a method of gaining a competitive edge and often is the tipping point when all other factors are equal. Those providers who choose not to participate also incur the social cost of contributing to poor air quality and continuing to consume resources in a way that is not sustainable.
The certification process requires data and effort. Certification is a voluntary agreement between the partner and the EPA. To become certified or be eligible for renewal, we must:
- Submit 12 months of operational data (or 3 months for newly formed companies)
- Agree to an EPA audit of this data and provide any supporting documentation when requested
- Allow performance results to be published publicly on the SmartWay website
We are thrilled to have our certification renewed for the sixth year! We look forward to the continued benefits that this program brings to our company for corporate sustainability, to our customers for environmental stewardship, and to our carriers for newly gained operational efficiency.