Bring Sustainability to Your Supply Chain
Since establishing our SmartWay® partnership with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in 2009, C.L. Services has changed the way our customers move freight through measurable sustainability indicators that help us reduce fuel consumption and improve air quality.
Through this partnership with the EPA, we are able to take a holistic approach to transportation, viewing details from the cost to the total environmental impact and carbon footprint. In 2012, Jeff Lantz, C.L. Services’ President, reaffirmed the company’s commitment to the SmartWay® program by announcing preferred status for SmartWay® certified carriers. A few years later in 2014, we more than doubled our SmartWay® certified carrier base from 500 to over 1,250. Today, we find ourselves at over 2,500 certified SmartWay® carriers.
Through SmartWay®, C.L. Services is able to:
- Benchmark and reduce our freight supply chain carbon footprint
- Use SmartWay® tools and data to do credible carbon accounting and reporting
- Access freight supply chain best practices which reduce costs and emissions
- Improve energy and environmental efficiency of freight operations
- Meet customer/shareholder demands for leadership in corporate sustainability
- Earn recognition for achievements through the awards programs
- Use the SmartWay® brand to promote our participation
As a long-time SmartWay® partner, we offer our customers the ability to improve their SmartWay® score by moving all their freight on certified carriers. As the carrier hauls freight in accordance with the EPA SmartWay® standards, the carrier’s SmartWay® score also increases. The benefits of selecting a SmartWay® carrier include: lowering cost, increasing efficiency in delivery times and improving air quality. SmartWay® carriers not only positively impact the transportation industry, but they also help and support their customers and our planet.
For all loads, we give SmartWay® certified carriers the priority in selection and encourage our transportation partners to become a SmartWay® partner, in hopes for a brighter future for everyone.
Fast Facts About SmartWay® Transport Partnership*
- Over 3,000 partners
- $20.6 billion dollars in fuel costs saved
- Saved 144.3 million barrels of oil: the equivalent of taking over 13 million cars off the road for an entire year
- 7 million metric tons of CO2 reductions
- 1,070,000 tons of NOx reductions
- 43,000 tons of PM reductions
As part of the SmartWay® certification, the EPA provides tools for organizations to make the most of this program. These tools allow any company, such as a vendor, shipper, carrier, warehouse provider, etc., to calculate their carbon emissions and fuel consumption including all shipments on private fleets, common carriers, and even non-asset based third party logistics (3PL) companies. This vital information allows us to quantify the impact of our efforts, track improvement, and monitor which certified carriers are prioritized.
The certification process requires data, diligence and dedication, but the impact of these efforts is a worthwhile investment in our planet and future. We are thrilled to have our certification renewed for the 12th year! We look forward to the continued benefits that this program brings to our partners, customers, company, and planet, as we work to reduce our carbon footprint and environmental impact.
*Info provided by www.epa.gov/smartway/about/
Director of Marketing & Media, C.L. Services